A clogged drain can be extremely irritating. Not only can it make your daily life inconvenient, but it can also cause serious health issues. For example, if waste water gets accumulated in your bathroom or kitchen sink due to the drains being clogged, harmful microorganisms can breed, in turn, making your house unhygienic. Thus, it is very important to take timely action. As soon as you notice a blockage, you should clean it up with immediate effect. There are different ways of cleaning blocked drains. It is important for you to identify the root causes of blockage and be aware of the different cleaning methods. You can also choose to hire an expert drain cleaner for best results.
Causes of Drain Blockages
Blockages are caused mainly due to the following elements:
- Fat: Different substances that have fat can block drainage. Fat, oil and grease are usually residual parts of food. When dishes and other utensils are washed, these elements pass through the drain. They solidify and get stuck in different parts of the drainage pipes, in turn, causing blockages over time. As the fat sediment content increases, drainage becomes more and more restricted.
- Food Particles: Large parts of food and vegetables get stuck in different parts of the drainage pipes. This problem is especially common in case of curved pipes. This is a very common cause of blockages.
- Hair: In case of bathroom drainage, hair is one of the most significant causes of clogs. Hair passes through the drains easily along with water, but, inside the pipes, the water passes through, often leaving the hair behind, stuck just below the drain. Hair keeps accumulating, and eventually, drainage is affected.
- Soap Residue: The greasy leftovers of soap foam create a coating in the insides of the pipe. With time, the coating gets thicker, ultimately leading to blockage. In many cases, the soap residue is so bad that it causes corrosion in the pipes.
An expert drain cleaner will be able to identify the root cause of blockage effectively and deal with the problem accordingly.
Strategies an Expert Drain Cleaner Will Use:
A blocked drain can be cleaned using the following strategies and tools:
- Plunger: A plunger can be used to clean blockages. The suction cup of a plunger can be used to force air and water to pass through the pipes. It exerts a strong pressure through vacuum, which dislodges blockages.
- Drain Snake: This is a system comprising a flexible, thin steel pipe connected to a handle. The steel pipe is pushed into the depth of the pipes and used to displace items stuck inside. This is a highly effective way of cleaning stubborn blockages.
- High-Pressure Drain Blaster: This is a device used to blast air into the drain in order to exert a strong force. This force dislodges blockages and clears up the drain efficiently. The device has a pump which is used to create the air blast.
- Chemicals: There are different chemicals and cleaning liquids which can be used by an expert drain cleaner. These chemicals react with the blocked materials and either soften or dissolve them. Thus, when water is passed through the drain, the materials wash way, in turn, enabling efficient drainage.
It is recommended that instead of trying to clean a blocked drain by yourself, you should get an expert drain cleaner to help. Not only will this increase your convenience, but it will also ensure safety. Mishandling the cleaning equipment or chemicals can lead to injuries and accidents. It is best to let a professional handle the drain cleaning process.