Some Useful Tips To Become More Energy Efficient At Home
Energy saving isn’t just about helping to save electricity or be more energy efficient- it is also a great and useful way to save money. Being energy efficient can make a lot of difference to the cost of your energy bill.
Expensive energy bills affect everyone but with just a few simple changes to your lifestyle and your home, you could save a lot of amount on your heating, gas and electricity bills.
Photo by Energy Smart Home Plans – Discover beach style exterior design inspiration
Following are some of the ways to cut back on gas and electricity all over the house:
In the Kitchen
- While cooking vegetables, one should use just enough water to keep them covered.
- Using a kettle to boil water for cooking instead of heating a pan on the stove is quicker and uses less energy.
- One can cook different vegetables on one ring by investing in a steamer or a segmented pan.
- Using microwave instead of oven cooks food quicker.
- One should always make sure that the taps are properly turned off when not using them.
Photo by Passacantando Architects AIA – Browse Victorian kitchen photos
The fridge and freezer
- Hot food should not be kept in the fridge since it messes up the temperature inside.
- The temperature of the fridge should be kept around 3°C to 5°C.
- Loading and unloading the fridge should be done as quickly as possible and the fridge door should never be left open for longer than you need to.
- In order to stop ice building up, one should defrost the fridge and freezer regularly.
- The kitchen should be positioned in such a way that the fridge and freezer aren’t close to cookers and direct sunlight.
Photo by APD Interiors – Search contemporary kitchen design ideas
Doing the laundry
- The economy setting on the washing machine should be used more often.
- Instead of using the tumble dryer, the laundry should be dried outside.
- The clothes should never be dried on the radiators since it makes the boiler to work harder than it needs to.
- Using the ecoballs in the tumble dryer spread out the washing and thus the clothes dry quicker.
Photo by Vedum Kök och Bad – Discover Scandinavian laundry room design inspiration
- Using energy saving light bulbs can save around £50 over the lifetime of the bulb and they also last up to 10 times longer than the ordinary bulbs.
- One should always make sure that all the electrical appliances are turned off at the plug when they are not in use because some appliances still use energy when they are plugged in, even if they are turned off.
Photo by Bunker Workshop – Browse contemporary kitchen ideas
For more tips and details, you can always contact the British Gas Contact Number.