Europe is packed with cultural history and spectacular sites. Each country offers a variety of activities to do and different sites to explore. The following 10 places to visit in Europe are on the bucket list, as they each have a unique story to tell any travelers lucky enough to visit.
1. Whitby, England
Whitby is a charming and quaint English town along the seaside. There are many things to explore and try for visitors including:
- Fishing. With the right company and fishing accessories, fishing in Whitby is an experience you’ll always remember.
- Visiting the 199 Steps landmark for a spectacular view of the city and coastline.
- Exploring the Whitby moors. For tourists, take advantage of the open land which makes up the stunning moors.
- Stopping in on the Whitby Abbey. This historical piece of landmark has inspired people for hundreds of years.
- Going to the beach. While touring a town along the sea, you’d be missing out without stopping at the sandy beaches.
2. Dubrovnik, Croatia
Dubrovnik is a town along the sea that is completely surrounded by old, defensive walls you can wander through for a taste of history. There are so many other remarkable things to see in Dubrovnik, which are:
- Set tours. For fans of the TV show Game of Thrones, there are several places that were filmed there that you can visit.
- An overview of the city. There is a cable car to take with a stunning overview of the town and a restaurant at the top of the line. This way, you can continue to take it all in.
- Old town. For a visit back to the olden days, this place in Dubrovnik will take you there. Structures there go back hundreds and hundreds of years.
3. Lyon, France
This French city is packed with diverse artistry and mouth-watering cuisine. When you cross this place off of your bucket list, you could:
- See the Lyon Opera House, the Celestins Theatre, and other museums. The expression of art expressed in these places is unforgettable.
- Walk city streets. It demonstrates the lifestyle through culture and street art.
- Take a sightseeing or lunch cruise along the Lyon River. See the town from a unique view.
- Try all the Lyon food you can, including their cheese, wines, chocolate, and bread. It’s to die for.
4. Kraków, Poland
Kraków has a little bit of everything for those who love history, city life, and even nature. Some of the most sentimental things to do there are:
- Hike in the Ojcow National Park. Located fairly close to Kraków, this National Park can help you reconnect with nature.
- Take a dip in the Zakopane thermal baths. If you’re tired after hiking the park, this is the perfect place to rejuvenate.
- Go hunting in approved areas near here. This is a popular place to hunt, and with the correct hunting equipment (such as a bow and an arrow, a multi-tool, and proper clothing), it’s sure to be an epic hunting trip.
5. Graz, Austria
Graz is a town on the hillside of Austria. With the cable cars running through its streets, this town is simple to get around and worth the trip. Not to mention, it is not overrun by tourists, so you can get a feel for the history without all the hustle and bustle. Attractions to see here that set it apart from other places are:
- The Murinsel. This is a bridge with a steel cafe and a performance area in the middle of the bridge. It would certainly make for a unique lunch experience.
- The Schlossberg. This clock tower (as pictured above) has a classic story to tell. Visit to find out what it is!
- Visit the cathedral in downtown Graz. The aged walls demonstrate fascinating old architecture.
6. Mellieħa, Malta
Surrounded by blue waters and sandy beaches, Mellieħa in Malta is a great location. What sets this area apart from other European locations is:
- Popeye Village. Remember the TV show Popeye the Sailor Man? This was a musical film set for that show in the 1980s and is a popular place to visit today.
- The Red Tower. This gives an overview of the country’s history and what combat was like back in the day.
- The Mellieħa Bay. It is one of the most widely stretched beaches with plenty of sand.
Don’t miss out on having a meaningful cultural experience by visiting these places in Malta.
7. Evora, Portugal
Evora is widely known for its antique architecture that is hard to find anywhere else. For travelers who are inspired by history, this is the ultimate area. There is so much life from the past to absorb here. This can be done by:
- Walking tours. Observe the architectural ruins by walking through them and get a sense of what life used to be like.
- For an even more in-depth look, check out the Museu de Evora. This museum is immersed in history and will leave you feeling enriched.
- Try the regional food. This will leave your taste buds with a feeling of culture, too.
8. Rovaniemi, Finland
If you take a vacation around the holidays and like the cold, Rovaniemi would be the ideal place for a Christmas holiday. This town in Finland will give you a Christmas season that you can’t get anywhere else. This is because:
- Santa Claus Village is located here. This theme park provides the opportunity to meet Santa Claus and his elves. If you aren’t a fan of the chill, it’s open during other seasons of the year.
- During the wintertime, you can see the northern lights. They are very clear and visible from this location.
This is a rare flavor of vacation that you don’t want to miss.
9. Andorra la Vella, Andorra
Andorra la Vella is a relatively small town in Andorra. There isn’t a very high population here. For adventurers who like skiing or shopping, you’ll love this place. Attractions to explore in the Andorra area are:
- Grandvalira Ski Resort. If you get a thrill from skiing, there are slopes for any level, as well as a zip line and alpine coaster.
- Mirador Roc Del Quer. This is an observation deck where you can have an overview of the city and surrounding mountains.
- The upscale shopping centers downtown. They sell an assortment of goods that you will want to have from your vacation.
10. Italian Alps, Italy
The Italian Alps are more for those who love adventuring outside rather than in the city. However, whether you like nature or not, the views from the Alps will blow you away. It’s worth seeing at least once. There are also many things you can do there. In addition to hiking the summits there, you can:
- Explore the lakes within the Alps
- Do water sports
- Walk around and take in the deep forests
Plan Your Trips
Having a European bucket list is essential with all the magnificent locations to visit in that part of the world. The locations and attractions listed above each have something valuable and unique to offer and will help make your bucket list complete.