Whether you’ve just invested in your first home and finally have room for visitors or you just want to spruce up your current guest space digs, there are plenty of ways to make your home more welcoming. From common areas to the actual guest room, these ideas will help you make your guests feel comfortable and cared for during their entire stay:
For many, the guest bedroom is the perfect place to put your old mattress that’s just not cut out for sleeping on every night, but not bad enough to throw away. However, that doesn’t mean you need to condemn your visitors to restless sleep while they’re staying with you. Investing in bedding is a fairly easy way to make your guest bed more comfortable, without having to buy a whole new mattress. For starters, you should get these essentials:
- Bedsheets with a 200 to 800 thread count
- A mattress topper to provide some extra cushioning
- A nice duvet
- An additional blanket that’s layered between the sheets and duvet or placed at the end of the bed
- Multiple pillows for those who like to sleep elevated
- Add a few comfortable and cute throw pillows to make the room feel homey
You may also want to keep an extra blanket or two in a cabinet in the guest room in case they get cold. After all, there’s nothing worse than shivering all night in a strange bed.
While it’s a bit of an investment, these additions will make your guest bedroom feel like a hotel room, without the outrageous price tag (which your guests will surely appreciate).
Using someone else’s bathroom for a weekend can be awkward—you’re not sure where to put your stuff, you might wonder how clean it actually is, and you can’t seem to figure out the shower. Make sure none of these worries have to cross your guests’ mind by setting up a visitor-friendly bathroom.
- Leave space in the medicine cabinet and under the sink for them to stash their belongings
- Put some fresh flowers like vibrant purple roses on the countertop to keep it smelling fresh
- Stash a few clean towels under the sink for easy access
- Give them quick instructions on how to work the shower if it has any quirks
- Leave a candle with a lighter or air freshener in their for them
- Choose a nicely scented soap for them to use
Making these small improvements to your bathroom is easy and low-commitment but will make a world of difference to your guests.
Outdoor Entertainment Area
Having guests in from out of town doesn’t mean you need to schedule excursions for every moment they’re visiting. Instead, make your home the place to be. If you live somewhere with moderate temperatures, you should consider investing in an outdoor entertainment area where you guests can enjoy the beautiful weather and spending quality time with you—all without having to spend money.
Need some inspiration? Here are some of our favorite backyard additions that are perfect for those who frequently play host:
- Outdoor kitchen: Equipped with a grill, wine fridge, and bar seating, an outdoor kitchen is the perfect place to enjoy a home-cooked meal without being cooped up inside.
- Backyard fire pit with plenty of seating: Fire pits are perfect for those who like to sit under the stars at night. Stock up on firewood, s’more accessories, and other fun additions to make the most of entertaining around the fire pit.
- Horseshoe pit and games: If you’re lucky enough to have a spacious backyard, why not make the most of it? Setting up a game area in your yard is perfect for some friendly competition while you wait for the burgers to grill.
- Hammocks and outdoor beds: Your guests will feel like they’re staying at a luxury resort if you have the perfect places to lounge outdoors. Hanging beds, whimsical hammocks, and plush lounge chairs all make great backyard additions, especially if they’re surrounding a pool.
Opening your home to guests doesn’t have to be stressful for either of you when you’re well-prepared. By creating a home that’s welcoming, well-stocked, and ready for entertaining, having family and friends stay with you will be an exciting and fun way to spend some quality time together.