Ideally, your home should be a safe place where you never have to worry about danger. Unfortunately, there could be hidden hazards that may impact your health if these problems aren’t addressed. If you want to make your home as safe as possible, you should be diligent about removing these potential health hazards before they make you or the other people who live with you sick.
Carbon monoxide is a gas that you can’t see, taste, or smell, which makes it especially dangerous if it goes unnoticed. The gas may be coming from a blocked heater or chimney or a gas stove that isn’t being ventilated properly. Other items in your home may also be producing the gas, and a carbon monoxide detector can be plugged in so that unhealthy amounts of the gas can be detected immediately. Addressing the issues that are causing the carbon monoxide buildups and opening doors and windows for ventilation can help clear your home of the gas.
Radon is another invisible, odorless, and tasteless gas that could put your health at risk if large amounts of it get into your home. Radon rises from the ground naturally when radioactive elements in the soil break down and emit gas. Cracks, holes, and other openings in basements often let radon into homes, but the gas could also be getting into your home through drains, sump pumps, or openings from pipes that haven’t been fitted properly. Radon testing can be done to detect the gas, and special fans and suction pipes are often used to remove radon effectively.
Mold can grow inside your home because of leaky pipes, poor ventilation, or other sources of moisture exposure. You can remove small amounts of mold on your own, but mold removal services may be needed to remove larger growth amounts and rid your home of mold thoroughly. If left in place, mold can cause respiratory infections, skin irritation, and other allergic problems that could be especially serious for people with severe allergies or weakened immune systems.
Bugs, rodents, and other pests can damage your home, but these critters can also put your health at risk. Pest droppings often contain germs and viruses that are harmful to people’s health. Some pests are also known to bite, and you might sustain a major infection or become seriously ill if you’re bitten by one of these unwanted houseguests. Traps and pesticides can be placed in certain areas of your home to try to solve your pest problem, but pest control services may offer a safer, more thorough solution that gets these critters out of your home once and for all.
Even though it might be impossible to make your home entirely safe at all times, you can minimize your health risks by taking care of the biggest dangers that could put you in harm’s way. Professionals who specialize in removing these dangers are always available to help.