There are different types of electrical services for which your reliable electrician from Sydney or from your nearby location can provide you service. In many instances, you might want to obtain a quote before the work begins. To get the quote as accurate as possible and to get the most value from your electrician, you need to keep certain things in mind.
What are the services for which you’ll need an electrical quote?
- Electrical inspections
- Fuse maintenance
- Lighting circuits
- Home re-wiring
- Smoke alarm installation
- Air conditioning installation
- Alarm system installation and maintenance
- Switchboard maintenance and upgrades
- General maintenance, repairs & more
Do’s: Things to keep in mind when requesting a quote
Provide exact specifications for the work clearly that needs to be done
- When explaining an electrician regarding work that you want to get completed, ensure you’re clear-cut about what needs to be performed.
- The job needs to be accurately described before a price is agreed because in some cases, the quote is an obligation to terms of service.
- Ensure the quote is itemised so that no component of the job is left out.
- Throughout the quotation process, both parties to an electrical quote require being on the same page.
Major Things You Should Check When Evaluating Electrician Quotes
- Are they having the right qualifications and certifications?
Generally, all licensed electricians will have the requisite certifications to perform electrical work. Ask if they will employ any subcontractors for the job; and if they do, request proof of their license as well.
- Are they having a legitimate license?
Regardless of how big or small the job is – electricians in Australia require holding a legitimate license to perform any type of electrical work. Therefore, it is vital that you perform a license check before accepting to a quote and hiring an electrician.
- Does their work conform to applicable Australian standards?
To govern and monitor the quality of electrical work carried out around the country, the Australian government has placed several electrical work standards in place. Your local electrician should be competent enough to recognise the standards that are relevant to your project and accomplish them accordingly. You may also request to include these standards in the quote.
- Are they providing pricing for each item?
Item wise pricing gives more transparency, which means you won’t disagreeably be taken aback by any hidden costs. Therefore, your local electrician’s quote should comprise a breakdown of the costs in an itemised list if your project demands several components.
- Are they having a warranty period?
Would your electrician assure that they will action on any additional work or repairs required on a job in the warranty period? You should be aware of all terms and conditions, so ensure reading the fine print regarding this aspect.
- Are they having the right insurance cover?
You should check if your electrician has proper insurance and liability cover. In the absence of an insurance cover, you may be liable for the costs of any unforeseen damages or any accidents that might take place. Thus, ensure to check for proof of insurance cover in your quote.
- Are they able to give testimonials or references?
Visit your electrician’s website to see if they have placed their client’s testimonials as an assurance of their work. If they haven’t, you can request your electrician to give references of their past clients.
Don’ts – Things to Avoid When Requesting For a Quote
- Don’t disregard information that is not clear on quotes
In legal and commercial terms, the information that is not clear is not considered as information until it’s made clear. You can request for a revised, correct quote that commits to a definite performance task.
- Don’t permit a ‘rubber stamp’ procedure while looking at the quotes
If you have requested a quote for your business establishment or office, go over it in minute detail before seeking approval of the management. Comparative quotes should be evaluated and a report should be submitted for due consideration.
- Don’t ignore the costliest quote
Often low-priced quotes aren’t essentially more beneficial quotes. Key distinctions in quotes may indicate major performance issues. Whereas the costliest quote may be a full-service precise quote that includes high-quality service.
Be mindful of the regulations
- Work Guarantee: Electrical contractors provide work guarantee for a particular time period and accordingly during this guarantee period, if any issues surface, they are indebted to provide service and rectify the electrical issue. Generally, contracts specify support and corrective work.
- Quality: Under the relevant Australian standards, electrical work is performed in Australia; it’s a rational expectation that work will be performed adhering to these standards.
Finally, remember that low-priced quote isn’t essentially a pointer of the best quality, so make sure that you do your research accordingly. Ask for testimonials or references and ensure your selected local electrician can offer a warranty or guarantee on the work performed. Also, make sure all services that are rendered are listed and priced individually and the credentials and license of your local electrician are clear on the quote document.
Call expert electricians for all types of electrical services including 24-hour emergency electrical work. Additionally, you may also be interested in knowing when you would need an electrical inspection & why?