4 Ways to Be Mindful of Your Environmental Impact This Summer
Environmental awareness is important year round, but different seasons may take a little different approach towards protecting the environment. Here are four ways that you can make a positive impact on the environment during the summer.
Vehicle emissions are a huge contributor to the pollutants that are affecting our atmosphere. And, summer is a great time to reduce those emissions by not driving as much. Take advantage of the weather, and get some great exercise by walking, riding a bike, or even rollerblading for some of those short trips.
While, of course, we recycle all of the time, your habits and daily routines will change somewhat during the warm, summer months, maybe causing you to generate more recyclables. Here are some things to think about this summer when it comes to recycling.
- You may find yourself spending more time outdoors, packing food to-go. As tempting as plastic bags and other disposable containers are, they aren’t doing our planet any good. A good supply of reusable food containers is a much greener solution.
- You’ll also probably be drinking a lot more water in the summer. Reusable water bottles and mugs are much more eco-friendly than disposable plastic water bottles.
- If you’re in a pinch, and need to use disposable items, look for biodegradable products. At least, they will decompose faster than other disposables.
- With all of the inside-outside activities, you may also find yourself cleaning more often. Using washable cloths for cleaning is a lot better for the environment than throwing paper towels away.
Think about Your Air Conditioning
Air conditioning is a must during the humid, muggy days of summer. But, the process of creating all of the energy that it uses will release those harmful emissions into our atmosphere. Here are some ways to keep your ac system running efficiently, using the minimum amount of energy.
- Have your air conditioner inspected before the season starts. Not only will you be making sure that everything is working as it should, but any ac system repairs can be taken care of early. You’ll want your ac ready for when you need it.
- A programmable thermostat is a great way to minimize how much your ac needs to work.
- Make sure to keep any plants or other obstructions at least three feet away from your ac to allow air flow.
Summer is also great for hanging your clothes outside to dry. They smell great, and you’re conserving energy.
It comes down to each of us doing everything that we can to reduce our carbon footprint on the environment. Together, we can fix the environmental problems that we have caused in the past. After all, this is the only world we have, right?