An attractive driveway can be an effective way of introducing a curb appeal to your visitors. Unfortunately, the cost of establishing driveways and garages is often high and creating something that boasts some serious curb appeal is not always easy. If you are establishing a new driveway from scratch, you should expect to pay more than $20 per square meter for groundwork alone which includes digging down, laying a membrane and even filling with compacted the ground with compacted hardcore. This is just the cost of groundwork; more expenses that will be involved including materials.
So, how will you own an attractive yet effective driveway despite this high cost?
The first step is often preparing the ground. You can cut the cost of driveway by doing prep work yourself. Mostly, a useful gravel driveway consists of three layers. The bottom layer features few inches underground filled with crushed rocks, followed by the middle layers with three inch stone forms. The third layer is where most of the work will take place. You need to define the best place to lay your driveway. Drainage is critical, so you will need planning permission to lay a new driveway of impermeable materials. Basically, this does not limit you to permeable products, but you have to design in a controlled run-off.
2. Sourcing materials
There are many material options, but gravel is often the best bet because it’s economical and effective. It will cost you around $4 for a two square meter, and it’s quick and easy to lay. You may need to be strategic when it comes to materials. Make sure that materials are delivered based on how you will lay them. Separate the material deliveries for the three layer materials by staggering them a few days apart so you will have enough time to work on the groundwork. Decorates aggregates takes little skills to install and get a natural looking weed-free driveway. Permeable resin gravel is a good option since is offer the required attractiveness without movement issues. You can also choose asphalt and concrete, but you may still need an expert.
3. Installing the driveway
The bottom, of course, goes first. Ideally you will need a bulldozer to compact the stones; otherwise, the drive may imperil your car tires. Additionally, when it comes to middle layers, the edge of the driveway at the most critical. You may need an expert hand, but you can still do it with necessary skills. The third surface is the most critical and you need to be careful when it comes to materials. It is advised that you use a curb, or bricks to retain gravels. To prevent movement, it is important that you use sand-based foundation as well as angular gravel. You may also consider laying the cellular grid to minimize motions. Although most experts mixed different materials with aggregates to add durability, to get a distinct beauty, you need to have a specific manner of layering. It may be a good idea to have an expert do it for you.
4. Add a design to the driveway
Remember your aim is not just to create a driveway, but an attractive one, so you need to apply a few skills. To add an attractive design to your driveway;
- Use a mixture of paving products. Some design elements can create a more significant contrast with mixed materials, for instance with stone pavers. Exposed aggregate is particularly on top when it comes to creating better contrast, but it is important to consult an expert. You can check this link https://www.decorativeconcretewa.com.au/exposed-aggregate/ to have an idea on how you can create a perfect contrast using exposed aggregate.
- Use good planting. Make sure you have some plant to soften the hard edges and to provide drainage. It may be a good idea to go for evergreen shrub because it requires little maintenance.
- Expel straight lines using curves edging lining with a paving design that radiates out from a circle rather than laying in strict rows.
- Integrate some lighting features. You can bring everything to life at night by having driven-over lights or low bollard design`s. Consider using products with motion sensors so they can light-up when you approach.
If you can’t or having trouble doing it yourself, it may be a good idea to look for a reliable and trustworthy tradesman. Find someone who will use materials that will give you a functional and attractive driveway even with a tight budget. But, there is no reason you can’t manage gravel or even a stone driveway installation by yourself, other than having materials delivered. If you don’t want to do it yourself at least save yourself some money by doing some prep work. The gravel driveway is a low maintenance affair, but you may need to neaten the driveway edges occasionally.