The home decor industry has come a long, long way over the decades. From setting up children’s rooms to remodeling living rooms, kitchens, or patios, designers focus on bringing sustainable and eco-friendly solutions.
Now that people like to even work from the comfort of their homes, they look for cozier alternatives. That’s more important when you have someone with special needs in your family. So, if you are looking for ways to upscale your home decor, give this post a read.
Here, we shall talk about how home decor can improve your health and keep you happy.
Factors to Consider and Their Effect on One’s Health
The surroundings of a home can greatly affect one’s health. They include visuals, audio, and more. Let’s dig deeper to see how important they can be:
Colors are the backbone of any home decor. It’s because they inspire peace and serenity and have a soothing effect on the well-being of a healthy individual or even a patient.
Even when you consult doctors online through video calls, you must have noticed the choice of colors in the background. They maintain bright and soft colors with attractive wall paintings to transfer positive and healthy vibes to their patients.
Colors to Use
Doctors use color therapies in the treatment of various diseases. They prove to help improve the blood pressure, sleep cycle, brain activity, pulse, and respiration rates. You can apply the same at your home to benefit from colors.
Here are some considerations:
- Avoid using green and blue colors as they give a grayish effect to the eyes. Such colors can dull the mood of a person.
- Make use of color contrast. You can use light color furniture on a dark color floor. Such as placing a light skin color chair or sofa on the dark wooden floor.
- Using the same furniture color as the floor creates trouble for a person in distinguishing between the two. So, avoid incorporating this in your house.
Lighting is an important element in home decor. It can make small spaces look bigger if used correctly. Various types of lighting can make it difficult for people to see, especially for people with health problems such as disabilities.
But many doctors online suggest the entrance space for sunlight into the house and rooms. It reduces stress and provides energy. Apart from the sunlight, you can use the following lighting as well:
Lights to Use
Thanks to advancements in technology, there are several lights made to help improve our well-being, such as:
- Soft-tone lights. These give a cooling yet soothing effect to the eyes.
- In case you have any old patients at home, you can use LED technology where they rest. This way, they will have the control to turn on and off the light.
- To prevent your kids and other family members from glaring, you can use natural daylight and light over the bed for better reading.
Good lighting in the room positively affects the health of a person. It controls the body’s circadian system, eases pain, helps prevent depression, and lessens agitation among individuals with dementia.
Another thing that adds beauty to the house is adding salt lamps to several corners of the house. Studies have shown they help reduce stress, depression, and anxiety.
Nowadays, whether it be teenagers, adults, or older members of the family, they all are prone to catching stress and anxiety. For this reason, placing a salt lamp in every room will keep everyone happy.
When renovating a home, you can not forget about the flooring. It brings a whole new look to the house and gives a pleasant feeling.
People nowadays like shiny hard floors, but if you have little kids at home or any old person, they can slip on the floor. That’s why you need to make wise flooring choices.
Flooring plays an important role in one’s sense of hearing. For patients, you need to consider several things when adding a new floor to the house.
Flooring for Sick Individuals
Here are some of the floorings to use and avoid:
- Avoid the shiny hard floor as one may hesitate walking on it in fear of slipping or falling.
- Use a simple matte finish on the floor so that if there are any patients at your home, they can move with ease.
- Spread carpet on the floor as the carpets can absorb more extra sound and deliver less. They keep the environment noise-free.
- Lastly, use a baseboard that differentiates the floor from the wall. Doing so will prevent the old individual from bumping into the wall.
The impact of good flooring is incredible on everyone’s health. It prevents people from falling, keeps the environment peaceful, offers a safer space, and more.
Good flooring provides a way to move even if the surface is wet. Hence, keeping the movement of you and your family members easy and stress-free.
As a result, they can roam around the house happily with no fear of slipping.
A house is not a home without plants. Who wouldn’t love plants? Although they look amazing when placed outside, using them indoors can change the home’s environment too.
Bringing greenery indoors reduces stress and improves the memory of a person. You can add flowers to the house. They give a pleasant effect and make the surroundings happy.
You can use the following plants inside the house:
It is one of the most beautiful and unique plants. This plant can produce a good amount of oxygen and absorbs toxins such as carbon dioxide, formaldehyde, and benzene.
This is the best plant to buy. It performs well in natural light. Its big leaves attract toxins and microorganisms, thus keeping the environment clean.
These are beautiful hanging plants. Hanging plants add the prettiest look to the house. They are easy to maintain and they work as air filters by producing oxygen and absorbing the toxins.
There are plenty of indoor plants which have a significant effect on a person’s health. They reduce stress and keep the environment pleasant and clean. In short, plants have a soothing effect and they have the power to fade the stress from the life of a person.
A cozy and comfortable home environment is important when:
- You prefer to stay at home for the most part of your day
- There are children around
- You have a senior or a patient who seldom goes outside
Therefore, it’s important to choose the home decor options wisely, making sure everyone in your family stays happy and healthy.