Modern kitchens have evolved to become more functional with cleanliness compared to the traditional kitchens we have seen twenty decades ago. Simple styles are the focus of the modern design and transforming your existing kitchen into a modern one is quite easy.
Modern and contemporary styles in the kitchens are blended and they cannot actually be separated. So transforming your modern kitchen into an eclectic or experimental one is quite easy depending on your needs and taste. Let us look a few pointers in this direction.
- Element changes: Whatever style you choose for your modern kitchen, change in elements is a necessity in this age. Incorporating new and efficient elements along with the latest kitchen designs would immensely benefit your efficiency and it will be an asset for the future. With technological changes and material modification, kitchen appliances have really evolved to be more functional and sleek. Also, space has taken the center stage for which a more modular approach to kitchen storage has become an absolute necessity. Lighting improvements also need to be integrated into the new design because kitchen lighting has become more indirect and hidden.
- Countertops: Countertops have evolved over the years and laminated sheets and Granite are still the popular choices. However, consider the better materials that have come to catch the eye. For example, Quartz countertop is maintenance-free and it does not need to be resealed like granite, not to mention that quartz is stronger than granite.
- Backsplashes: In the past, backsplashes were entirely left out or were only a group of tiles used to keep the kitchen clean. They were, at their best, designed to make the kitchen look better. Today, there are plenty of options, apart from tiles, to choose from. A modern kitchen is more colorful it displays a sense of creativity that come from using ceramic mosaics, glass patterns and metallic tiles.
How should you place the cabinets and the kitchen hardware?
- Cabinets: In the older kitchens, cabinets had a single purpose – storage. The colors were generally Hard Rock Maple or Classic Cherry. Modern kitchens are more fun filled colorful & the choices available today are lighter in color with patterns and textures thrown in to get the best look. Gray is the more popular color today for kitchen cabinets. Dark or light gray, patterned or un-patterned, depending on your choice can make the kitchen appear more spacious and bright.
- Hardware: Kitchen hardware has changed dramatically over time. Though the equipment remains the same, the features and options they come with have evolved beautifully. Even the look of the modern kitchen equipment has undergone a drastic change owing to the sleeker designs. To match the cabinet styles chosen, the equipment and kitchen accessories need to be upgraded in terms of materials used as well as technology and colors. There are myriad options today to match your needs. You will need a lot of time, research, and thought to choose what you need.
A lot of thought should go into redesigning a kitchen. Apart from though, the redesign requires lot of inputs from the actual person using it the most. All kitchens have a unique blend of technology, habits, equipment, and looks and it is necessary that the user has the right to choose.
Additionally, it is highly essential that one should go around the kitchen niche and find the latest in accessories, technology, equipment, and designs before embarking on building a modern kitchen. This should be done beforehand instead of leaving it to a remodeler or a designer, since you will be the one using the kitchen. Comfort & safety in modern kitchens are primary aspects of any kitchen; do keep these in mind before going ahead.