It is better to remain alert and aware of certain aspects of residential plumbing practices than wake up one morning just to find your house swamped in cloudy drain water. You don’t need to get enrolled at a plumber’s school and gain certificate in order to know all about plumbing. The blog like this keeps you informed and helps you save a lot of time, money and efforts while taking over DIY plumbing project. But you will still need to call a plumber Melbourne for professional help in serious plumbing cases.
Here are top 7 plumbing principles a DIY lover like you can learn and implement.
- First things first, it is obvious that nobody likes to deal with uninvited trouble, and the best way to keep it at bay is to be careful about how you maintain good plumbing condition at your home. Make sure you turn off main water supply before leaving the premise for a vacation. So that when you return from your pleasure trip, you will not have to face deluge in your house due to unpredictable leaks.
- Pipes that carry water in your house can baffle you if you don’t know their properties, usage and applications. For example, PVC and CPVC are not the same types. Before you go to the store and inquire about the availability of pipes, consult with plumber about what you exactly need. You don’t want to end up buying something that will not serve the real purpose.
- CPVC pipe has unique properties that enable them to carry hot water running through washing machine or dishwasher. Your local plumber will suggest using PVC pipe for cold water and regular water. Knowing this will save you from doing a mistake and experiencing frequent leaks or damages in your residential pipes.
- Measurement is a very technical aspect of installation, and PVC and CPVC pipes are measured differently. So before you step in a hardware plumbing store, learn to measure these pipes. With PVC, diameter is measures considering the inside of the pipe. In CPVC pipe, outer diameter of the pipe is taken into account. If measurement of a pipe is much of a hassle to you, you can either call a plumber or make a habit of taking a small piece of pipe. The hardware storekeeper will help you decide on the rest of it.
- Before opting for plumbing maintenance work, shutting the flow of water in certain areas is of great importance. For this you need to consider adding a shut-off valve. With this arrangement, while working on the kitchen or bathroom, you can choose shutting the water supply off to only those areas of your house that are affected by plumbing problem and not the entire premise.
- Always be smart enough to catch the signs of arriving problems because it might not be feasible to call a plumber Melbourne for every tiny bits. For once, you can tell if there is a leaky faucet or clogged drains based on lower water pressure in your house. (Note: Don’t Be Fooled By Off The Shelf Drain Cleaning Products). Leaks are pretty dangerous since it reflects as a noticeable spike in your water bill.
- If you notice a stubborn leaky condition in your faucet, it might be due to worn out aerators. In the same way, there might also be the need for replacement of rubber seal or washers. Being a DIY lover, you can visit a store to buy these products at affordable price and replace the old ones easily.