Imagine having a special place in your home where you can relax and revitalize yourself. Wouldn’t that help us live much better lives and cope with the daily grind?
One effective way of recharging ourselves is by devoting a portion of our home for meditation and clearing of the mind. Meditation can tremendously improve your quality of life, and having a special room for meditation can do wonders.
This is the reason why people have relied on lofts for this particular purpose. Loft conversion has risen in popularity over the years, as it provides additional features in any home. Creating a loft will require you to spend some amount of money, but it will end up to be a lot cheaper than building an additional room.
Here are some quick tips to help you start with your new loft conversion project:
- Prepare a planning permit, especially if there is a need to alter the design of the roof. Otherwise, you may proceed with the loft project.
- Provide planning for emergency exit routes to ensure safety.
- Ventilation and insulation should also be taken in consideration. You cannot just build a box and leave it as is. Always follow building guidelines.
If you’re planning to create a meditation loft in your home, check out the following factors:
- Since you would be using the loft as your meditation, consider the cost of soundproofing the room.
- Keep in mind that it should be a quiet space where movement is limited. The loft should be a spot where you are most comfortable to be in.
- It is important that the meditation room is free from clutter. Put only the bare essentials, say a basic roll up mat or a rug. Too many pieces can become a distraction.
- Install a window that would allow natural light to come in. You may install vertical or horizontal blinds, or a curtain made of sheer fabric to soften the amount of light.
- The light fixtures should not be as bold as like having a huge chandelier. It is advisable to install bright and dim lights, which you may use interchangeably depending on your mood.
- Stay away from “gifts of technology”. The reason why you made the meditation room is to have peace and freedom from outside stress and noise. Leave your smartphones, tablets and laptops inside your bag or place them in another room.
- A meditation room should make you feel comfortable. Apart from using pillows and blankets, you may prefer using a lounge chair or any soft material that can make you comfortable. You can actually make a project with the other members of the family by customizing cushions wrapped in comfortable fabric like cotton or suede.
- Aromatherapy can be a great booster while meditating. Essential oils are believed to help elevate a person’s consciousness. Commonly used oils include frankincense, myrrh, cedarwood, vetiver, neroli, rose and sage.
Our busy and stressful lifestyles may have robbed us of having quality time with ourselves and our families. Meditation has been proven to add more quality to your way of life with regards to relationships and your perception of life. Making use of your loft to meditate and relax should be a wonderful experience that you will be excited to come home to.